A comprehensive health and safety inspection program protects your business. Use this sample health and safety checklist to create or update your health and safety program across your locations.
- Employees are aware of company handwashing standards and practices including scrubbing hands for a minimum of 20 seconds and lathering backs of hands, between fingers, and under nails as recommended by the CDC?
- Handwashing policy is posted by all sinks in employee areas?
- Employee area sinks and washrooms are stocked with soap, hand sanitizer, and clean towels?
- Employees wash hands before beginning work, before and after breaks, before and after eating/drinking?
- Employees avoid touching their face?
- Employees are aware of company illness policy?
- Employees know who to report illness to and next steps?
- Employees do not work when ill?
- Stores and warehouses have necessary sanitization supplies and protective equipment on hand including gloves, masks, aprons, and eyewear?
- Employees are trained to handle sanitizing chemicals and equipment?
- Facility sanitation protocols are posted in employee areas, are up to date and accessible?
- Public areas are frequently sanitized (including door handles, display surfaces, counters, check outs, change rooms, tables, chairs, rest rooms and surfaces)?
- Employee work areas including POS stations, backrooms, stock rooms are properly and regularly sanitized?
- Employee shared equipment (keys, control logs, tablets, warehouse equipment, forklifts, etc.) are properly and regularly sanitized?
- Breakroom tables, chairs, refrigerators, microwaves, and surfaces are properly and regularly sanitized?
- Sanitization responsibilities are scheduled and assigned to designated employees?
- Restocking of sanitizing supplies and equipment is assigned to designated employees?
Entrances and exits
- No cracks, damage or potholes in the parking lot area?
- No uneven or damaged sidewalks surrounding the location?
- Walkways are free of obstacles?
- Accessibility ramps and/or stairs are in good condition?
- All railing is safe, secure and sturdy?
- Is there adequate lighting around location exterior, with no burnt out bulbs?
- Safety mats are present for use during snowy/icy weather?
- Salt is on hand for snowy/icy weather?
- Does location have good condition Caution signs for wet floors/spills?
- All exits are clearly marked and free of obstacles?
- Fire exit signs visible, lit and in good condition?
- First aid kit well stocked with no expired materials?
- Management and staff know the location of the first aid kit?
- Can staff identify where the first aid kit is found? Ask 3 team members.
- Are new staff trained in basic first aid procedure?
- Do staff know what to do if they are injured on the job?
- Does management know what to do if a staff member is injured on the job?
- Is there a functional fire/smoke detection system?
- Is there a fire extinguisher mounted in a designated area and unobstructed?
- Check and note the fire extinguisher expiry date
- Do staff know the location of the fire extinguisher? Ask 3 team members.
- Have staff been properly trained to use a fire extinguisher?
- Is there a sprinkler system?
- What was the date of the last sprinkler inspection?
- Is the fire plan regularly tested?
- Do staff know what to do in the event of a fire?
- When was the date of the last fire drill?
- Do staff know the emergency exit location and meeting place?
- Do the emergency exit doors swing out?
- Is the floor free of any slip or trip hazards?
- Walkways and aisles are kept clear?
- There is adequate interior lighting for work and customer interactions?
- Does location have backup power in the event of a power outage?
- Ladders or step stools for staff in good condition?
- Ladders or step stools properly put away when not in use by staff?
- Shelving is in good condition?
- There are no protruding or sharp corners that may cause injury?
- Do all electrical outlets have covers?
- Waste removal is done at regular intervals?
- Large commercial waste containers are easily and safely accessible?
- Backroom free from sharp edges/corners that may cause injury?
- Storage shelves are in good condition and not overloaded?
- Is the back door/loading area locked at all times?
- Is there a peephole or some means to see who is outside the door?
- Staff know and adhere to the procedure for opening back door/loading area?
- Cleaning equipment stored safely in a designated area?
- Up to date health and safety poster for province/state visible?
- Up to date workplace violence and harassment poster for province/state visible?
- Is the break room clean and free of clutter?
- Is the office clean and free of clutter?
- Is there a safe place for the storage of valuables?
- Is office furniture and equipment in good condition?
- Electrical and extension cords are not a trip hazard?
- Electrical and extension cords are in good condition?
- Do all electrical outlets have covers?
- Is the washroom clean and free of clutter?
- Is hand soap or hand sanitizer available?
OTHER HEALTH AND SAFETY RESOURCES
Refer to the Health and Safety category for checklists, how-tos and best practices for health and safety.
If you are looking for checklists to manage your operations and brand standards, you have two options.