Use this sample Fire Protection Checklist to create or update your fire protection program across your retail locations.
While individual situations vary, the following sample checklist details specific issues that may be included in an inspection checklist for fire protection.
Methodology: This checklist was compiled from a number of sources and moderated using industry research.
Fire Protection Plan
- If your workplace has 11 or more employees, does it have a written fire-prevention plan?
- Does the plan describe the types of fire protection equipment and systems that are available?
- Have you established practices and procedures to control potential fire hazards and ignition sources?
- Are employees aware of the fire hazards of the materials and processes to which they are exposed?
- Is the fire alarm system tested at least annually?
- If employees are expected to use fire extinguishers and fire protection procedures, are they trained?
- Employees who are not trained to use fire extinguishers, are they trained to immediately evacuate the building in a fire emergency?
- Is the latest annual fire inspection certificate readily available
- Are all fire alarm and voice communication systems in good working order?
Sprinkler System and Fire Extinguishers
- Do metal guards protect sprinkler heads where they could be physically damaged?
- Is proper clearance maintained below sprinkler heads?
- Is heat adequate to prevent freezing pipes? (40oF/4oC minimum)
- Does every sprinkler have a head connected?
- Are portable fire extinguishers provided in adequate numbers and types?
- Fire extinguishers are mounted in readily accessible locations?
- Are fire extinguishers recharged regularly, with dates noted on the inspection tags?
- Is access to hose reel systems un-obstructed?
Fire Doors and Evacuation Routes
- Do all fire doors close properly?
- All fire doors and exits un-obstructed?
- Emergency exit doors equipped with panic hardware?
- All exit signs un-obstructed and clearly visible?
- Exits signs are illuminated and un-damaged?
- Are all emergency exits as per the evacuation plan, un-obstructed?
- Hallways are as per the evacuation plan, un-obstructed?
- Are all stairwells as per the evacuation plan, un-obstructed?
- Is emergency lighting in place throughout emergency exit routes?
If you are looking for checklists to manage your operations and brand standards, you have two options.
- Register for a free trial of Bindy and get access to a library of professionally vetted public forms you can use to audit your locations in seconds.
- Refer to our checklists category of more than 33 checklists to manage every aspect of your operations.