The parking industry is largely divided into two types: on-street parking and off-street parking. On-street parking is predominantly owned by municipalities while off-street parking is privately owned. Both types need to ensure lots are in good repair and compliant with regulations and customer expectations. Here is a sample Parking Lot Inspection Checklist to help you inspect the operations, maintenance and security of your lots.
- Is entrance signage clearly visible to passing cars?
- Signage is in good repair, clean, and well lit?
Parking lot entrance
- Is sidewalk and entryway free from obstruction and debris?
- Are all lot closure devices, (gates, semaphores) clearly visible?
- Auto open gates operate smoothly?
- Gates open automatically when approached for exit?
- Do gates open automatically upon power failure or alarm?
- Is vegetation trimmed away from walkways & entrances?
Parking lot markings
- Mirrors or STOP signs are posted at blind spots?
- Are directional signs posted, legible, and well lit?
- Lines & directional arrows are legible?
- Parking spaces designated?
- There are clearly marked designated pedestrian walkways?
- Are there clearly marked, designated handicapped parking spots?
- Handicap spots is 8 foot wide with 5 foot access aisle?
- Bumpers are less than 6.5 in height?
- Lot bumpers visible and easily identified?
- There are areas designated for motorcycles?
- Are there areas designated for bicycles?
- There are areas designated for electric vehicles?
- Is there a working charging station at every electric vehicle spot?
- Is the lot paved?
- The lot is free from tripping hazards?
- Is the lot free from pot-holes?
- Are ramp slopes of 1:15 minimum to 1:12 maximum provided?
- “Slip-resistant” surfaces are provided on island tops?
- Are “slip-resistant” surfaces provided on ramps?
- Are storm water control systems in place?
- Inlet grates are clear of debris? Marked No Dumping?
- Do drain covers provide adequate heel catch guarding?
- Is the parking lot clear of accumulation of standing water, snow, debris etc.?
- Are lots plowed as needed and salted or sanded?
- Is snow being piled in the designated snow piling area(s)?
Safety and security
- Are appropriate signs posted (e.g., no parking in fire routes, etc.)?
- If the lot is enclosed by a fence, is the fence-in free from holes and in good condition?
- Are lots routinely patrolled?
- Does the lot have lighting for nighttime operations?
- Are any light poles cracking at the steel base plate?
- All of the lights are functioning?
- Is the parking lot free from dark areas that require additional lighting? (check after dark)
- The lot is monitored by Closed Circuit TV cameras?
- Are there emergency call boxes in place and working?
- Is the property kept clear of litter, combustibles, hazardous materials, old batteries, etc.?
- Are the fire department hose connections kept clear, accessible and have caps?
- Is the lot free from obviously abandoned vehicles and bicycles?
Stairs and elevators
- Are stairs, stairwells, and landings kept clear and unobstructed?
- In winter, are stairs, stairwells, and landings kept clear from ice and snow?
- Stairways are adequately lit?
- Are stairs, treads, hand rails, and any guards secure and in good condition?
- Elevators are maintained and in good working order?
- Are elevator maintenance certificates up to date?
- Are pay stations clearly marked and well lit?
- Pay are stations in good working order and accept all designated methods of payment?
- Is the pay station regularly serviced?
- Staff are in appropriate uniform?
- Are staff adhering to equipment maintenance schedule?
- Staff keep equipment maintenance reports and records up to date?
- Fire plan and emergency numbers are displayed in staff area?
- Is the first-aid kit stocked and accessible?
- All required insurance and safety certificates are displayed in staff area?
- Are staff office and restrooms clean and free from clutter?
- Has staff recorded and reported all accidents?
- Do staff adhere to cash collection and deposit procedures?
OTHER AUTOMOTIVE AND PARKING RESOURCES
Refer to the Automotive and Parking category for checklists, how-tos and best practices for the automotive and parking industries.
If you are looking for checklists to manage your operations and brand standards, you have two options.